Norwegian Students Take Exams On Laptops

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Norwegian Students Take Exams On Laptops

Post by @bid on Mon May 04, 2009 10:03 pm

Hey, how would you feel about taking your next round of end-of-quarter exams without even having to pick up a pencil? No, I'm not talking about telepathy (though, I kind of like the idea!), I'm talking about laptop testing. In a move that I can only hope spreads encouragement to classrooms around the world, about 6,000 students in the nation of Norway are being allowed to complete examinations on their laptops in a trial run that could soon be rolled out across the country.

Every single 16 to 19-year old in Nord-Trondelag county in Norway has been involved in the notebook-based system, and it's no surprise to see officials testing things out on the oldest, most "mature" students first. Just so you know, secondary students are given a laptop by the government when they turn 16 to help them with schoolwork, and during exams, there is specially-made software that launches in order to "block and record any attempt at cheating."

The crazy part? The Internet is apparently active during testing. In fact, students have to visit a website when an exam begins in order to download their questions. I get the impression that students are expected to flip the Wi-Fi off once the materials are received, and the monitoring they are under seems rather intense. Of course, students aren't apt to Google search a question when the machine is constantly taking screen grabs of their actions -- at least the smart ones won't.

I'm eager to see if the world pick up on this. Naturally, I love the idea. The working world now revolves around computing, there's no reason why the world of academia should still be forced to use pencil-and-paper methods that have been largely lapped outside of the classroom.
@bid
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/abid861

Back to top Go down

Re: Norwegian Students Take Exams On Laptops

Post by mr.banker on Thu May 07, 2009 9:28 pm

thats a really nice thing. i think these things should apply to every education center.
mr.banker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top